Sunday, March 4, 2012

Hawaii: Going Home and Top Five

Since this is my last full day in Hawaii, which I spent reading a book poolside and going down the occasional waterslide, I thought I would compile a couple of top five lists. This is both to reflect on the experiences of Hawaii, and to help travellers plan their destination trip with less hassle. First, you need to know that I am not a shopper or city girl per se. While I enjoy the elements of the city, my favorite things to do will be off the beaten path nine times out of ten. I also have to say that I am really not ready to go home yet. I think my tan still needs work and I am still feeling sleepy. Mind you...that could be the lava man beer talking too...I had to sample at least one drink!

Top Five Hawaiian Things To See: Oahu

Hanuma Bay
Turtle Beach
Lanakai Beach
Polynesian Cultural Centre
Cold Stone Creamery

Best Place to get coffee was the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf hands down. I tried many places on both Islands and kept going back for more on both islands. I managed to get a free drink too as they have a frequent stamper card that is worth carrying around from Island to Island.

Cheesiest Place to visit was my girls favorite place: Teddy Bear World. I will have nightmares forever...lol.

Top Five Things to Do: Kona

Helicopter Tour (we did Paradise Helicopter Tours but I am sure they are all fantastic.)
Horseback Riding (we did Dahana Ranch as they take children under 8 and it was fabulous).Spend a Day at Visit Seahorse at Ocean Rider (Very informative, educational and interesting for all ages. AND you get to hold a seahorse!)
Beach 69, bring a snorkel.
Tour waterfalls around Hilo...they are all beautiful.

Two favorite hidden gems: Ocean Rider's Seahorse Farm  (www.Seahorse.com for more information) and Mr. Ed's Jam Shop that masquerades as an amazing bakery near Akaka Falls. He makes 101 plus flavors of jam from the fruit of Big Island. He is passionate about his samples and you can't help but order a box to be waiting for you at home.

Top Five Places to Eat (First note that many we tried to eat at were closed or too full)

Huggo's on the Rocks - Kona
Bongo Ben's - Kona
Island Lava Java - Kona
Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf - if you find one on any island - YUM!
Cheesecake Factory - Waikiki

Biggest disappointments:

Lack of sunshine some days due to VOG (volcanic fog, they have their own word for it)
Lack of dolphins
No manta rays at the Sheraton
TRAFFIC (holy smokes do they ever have rush hour issues!)
BUSES...it would be lovely if they managed to have a bus schedule that really meant something. You know...rather than there might be a bus with a number on it that matches your route...but it runs when it feels like it and sometimes not at all...sigh...

Would I come back? Yes - but I think I would prefer to do Kona as I loved it here and perhaps try Maui. Oahu was too busy for me and too posh.

Tip: On Big Island - the Aloha card is worth acquiring for discounts.


Holding Houdini the Seahorse


The Lava Tube at the Sheraton
And there you have it...final thoughts on Hawaii - see you once I am shivering in the north again.

No comments:

Post a Comment