Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Getting A Groove

Shimmy. Shake. Make the earth quake...at least that is what my muscles are telling me. It is Dance Season - and I have been ridiculous and have signed myself up for four classes. Being one of those people that absolutely love to dance, I was delighted to get back into it a few years ago. I started with Hip Hop, and then added in tap. Then...well, I just dived in and take whatever classes fit my schedule. This year it is Tap, Contemporary, and two Hip Hop Classes - one of which is with younger adults (ok - teenagers). It is so fun.

My brain spins and whirls as my memory is challenged over learning various styles of choreography. Then, you have to imagine my curvaceous self trying to figure out how to practise the splits, what to stretch and what would cause injury. From having to work out what muscles flatten and which ones automatically curve, to springing into jumps, spins and chronic knee work, I feel like I am frantically trying to keep up. Of course, I am still beats behind the brilliant ladies I dance with but tonight...tonight I felt like I had hope of managing to keep up. I might just get there. (The Hip Hop class is advanced). Contemporary is a beginner class. Nothing like getting your feet into the air in a million ways possible.

But, despite my bodies need to be exercised and fed correctly. Do you know what the best part is? The music. I get exposure to so much music. There are the songs that I can sing along to. The ones that make you want to groove down into the balls of your feet. The ones that make you want to stretch out and relax with music flowing over and around your mind. I have had so much fun this week. (and yes, I am pretending that the choreo didn't stress me out much - if only my brain wasn't aging).

All this comes from stepping outside my comfort zone and my peer group. I have to be willing to chill with the younger crowd and they have to be willing to see beyond my adult face. The skills that are required to do something different and to break down the barriers and boundaries put in place by society are rather interesting. I am not too old to dance, to play, to have some fun. My girls like nothing better than to sit and watch mama groove. Yep, they are learning about courage, determination, pride and joy. They don't know that but it is true.

I think that the challenges moving forward are to do just that. Be different. Be unique and do what you are passionate about. And on that note...I am going to haul my weary muscles to the shower and soak. Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment