Sunday, December 23, 2012

England to the Canary Island of Tenerife

Ahhhh, now this is a lovely change from the damp and endless misty rain that the UK has been experiencing. To quote the English gentleman on the beach front at Los Christianos beach, ¨"I have no idea why people go skiing for Christmas." Other than it is really fun too. Today, dawned bright and clear. Sunshine is everywhere and I am revelling in it. But, I am ahead of myself.

Yesterday was a taxing and stressful journey, thanks to the devil of google maps. It said two hours from Bournemouth to Luton. It lied. Try four! I was good and stuck to the motorway routes. I didn´t go off road as the manpower in the group found that it was stressful enough already. The more the red dotted lines delayed traffic, the more wound up things got. Add to that feverish children, and you have a nasty day shaping up. However, once close to Luton, I decided to get off the motorway and take the back roads and it was lucky that I did. My brother caught his Ryanair flight with minutes to spare at the desk. We also made it, even though we were cutting it fine with the fuel stop, bus shuttle and so on.

Hurry up, I´m late I´m late not quite at the gate but you should hurry, yes indeed. That queue is important. However, we were delayed, and so was Ryanair. Monarch offered us priority boarding if we checked some luggage. Gleefully, I agreed and was able to get the girls settled with medicine blankets and some snacks. The plane pushed back and then it happened. The plane shuddered and rocked violently. The Captain came on and after half an hour, we taxied back to the gate. The landing gear shunt truck did not detach itself properly and instead, punctured the front tire. The landing gear was repaired and the tire changed. We left two hours later, all the while sitting on a plane. We arrived in Tenerife three hours late, just as my brother was decided to leave the airport thinking we had abandoned him. Not the case.

However, we got a taxi to the hotel and it is glorious. We are staying at the Beverly Hills Heights and it is fabulous. We have views to the sea and a pool a floor down. The village is walkable and next door had the most delicious food, very reasonably priced. The adults indulged in paella while the children had amazing pizza.

This morning, we rose and then spent some time by the poolside. Then, we tripped down the cliffside to the market and wandered the beachfront at Los Christianos. This was a grand idea until we couldn´t determine where the shuttle went from and had to clamber up the cliffs to the hotel. However, we are all in love with the cuisine and the service of the people. This is truly a lovely place and I am so happy that we decided to come here on the whim that was mine.

The rooms have a lovely balcony, a trundle bed sofa for the kids, a large master bedroom, two baths and a full kitchen and dining room. I would highly recommend this. Now, to plan excursions...water park tomorrow and volcanos later in the week.

See you soon...as I listen to Christmas carols play over the computer desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment