Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Keeping Up Appearances: My Way or ELSE

My mother used to watch this Television show when I was middle to less than teen called Keeping Up Appearances. This program ventures onto the modern screen once in awhile and Hyacinth (?) keeps me rolling my eyes as she peeks through curtains to spy on neighbours while hiding secrets of her own. She attempts to be posh and sometimes fails miserably. It amuses me but so isn't me.

I have my own brand of nonsense. I love to dance. The music, the rhythm, the sounds and the challenges. I like the people and the determination. There is the thrill of being on stage and the terror that goes with it. Now, you have to understand that I got into it for exercise in the first place. While that is a nice side benefit, it hasn't come with the desired weight loss I wanted. I also got into it to prove to my girls that there was nothing that I was asking of them that I wouldn't do myself. They love it!

The thing is that I grew out of the adult classes being offered and took up with the Advanced Hip Hop teenagers. They are young and wisp like. They have the ability to contort and their knees are still newish. Here I am tonight trying to keep up with the young and definitely have some work to do. I have to bend lower, practise the b boy moves and actually remember the darned choreo that keeps changing. I have loved it but right now feel like that show: Keeping Up Appearances. I have taped knees, a streaming cold (allergies?), a "popped" calf muscle in addition to the usual aches and pains of a body that is over 40 being asked to do the same things as a 16 year old.

I will get there and love it at the end. Practise makes perfect. But blending in is harder to do some days, in fact today it was darned near impossible. Is it worth it?

I think so:

1) I am being me
2) I have time to spend with my girls
3) Exercise for the long term is being modelled.
4) Determination and goal setting is being modelled.
5) There is the fun and spontaneity with dance
6) There is a great outlet for a challenging day.
7) There is the reward of completing a show
8) I can be proud of the process.
9) I am still learning and able to do so.
10) I am healthier for the most part.

Most importantly: Appearances be darned. This is my brand of crazy and I like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment