Wednesday, August 28, 2013

First Day Of School

Today was the first day of school for my eldest child. She was fearful and excited as she was starting a new school and was facing being the new kid on the block. As a parent, this decision to pull her from the school that she had been at all her school life with two years to go came with some trepidation from my point of view as well.

Reasons for choosing a new school included walking versus busing, opportunity to meet new friends in our neighbourhood rather than trying to fight the same battles with bullying at the old school, academic records, interviews with key staff and the High School of choice were all explored. This process took months of research and waffling.

What if she didn't make friends? What if she was being forced from the frying pan into the fire? What if she hated it?

Today was a frightening day. Add to the stress, you have to label the school supplies, pack them up and squeeze the whole kit into a small bag. We had to find shoes to fit and of course, find everything on the list. We have to pay our school fees for our publicly funded education...(I know right?). There has to be personalization and of course the cool factor to what you choose. No more Disney, we are into the cool kid brands (but I don't know what they are...)

Then, there is the choosing of the outfit for the back to school day. After going through a million outfits, she settled on a leopard print dress and leggings. I stared at a demolished closet and tried to keep a lid on my thoughts. (WTH were you thinking came to mind).

The night before, we talked and chatted about how to act and how to be to integrate successfully into the new school. We discussed giving everyone a chance, bullying, graffiti and much more. we talked about being inclusive and how not to lose all the school supplies in one day.



And I didn't sleep well.
I worried.
What had I done?

Should I have kept her at the old school with her friends? Maybe this year would be different and she would get the help she needs there. Argh.

Instead, I walked in the door after work to a jubilant child. She had walked home on her own and was excited about her day. She talked about playing and the expectations for the coming days. This is a child I have never seen before. This first day? It's a keeper. Thank you to the powers that be that got me to this point. I am so relieved, and she is happy. Let the learning commence.


No comments:

Post a Comment