Monday, November 11, 2013

Los Cabos 2013: Grand Mayan and San Jose Del Cabo

Northern climates tend to get a little chilly at this time of year, so my friend from Texas and I met up at the airport in San Jose del Cabo. That in itself was not easily done as there are more than one terminal at the airport and as luck would have it, we wound up at different terminals. In Mexico, there are the timeshare sharks that lurk in the interior lobby of the hotel. Once clearing customs and having your bag, it is wise to remember to walk quickly straight through the gauntlet of timeshare sharks to find your transportation. I would strongly advise to have a shuttle meet you and many resorts will provide you with that info. Ours had a free shuttle so that was good.

The Grand Mayan Resort was lovely. While it is surrounded by the San Jose Del Cabo work force putting in water lines, the Bell staff came to be some of our favorites during the week. Vegas and Oscar were delightful, checking us in and seeing to our bags. Check in at the front desk was smooth and then we got turned over to the timeshare sharks.

Do NOT ever agree to sit through a timeshare presentation at this resort. The discount options offered could be found better in town at Magic Tours and the massage places across the street were great. In addition, they state 90 minutes and in reality, we arrived at 8:30 and left just after 11:00 after trying to not so rudely extricate ourselves. Repeated questions about income, martial status and such were designed to make you feel inadequate and that really dampened the holiday mood for a moment or two. Mind you, we didn't do the presentation right away, but you do have to make a decision on the spot.

Our room was gorgeous. We had ocean views, full kitchen and it felt palatial. Some of the touches I enjoyed was the nightly turn down service, daily cleaning, an abundance of towels, and the deck area. The pools were gorgeous and the beach stunning. Things that had us questioning things were the locks on the doors that maintenance took three days to fix and prices being charged at the resort for drinks and food.

I have strayed from my story though...

After checking in and getting settled, we knew that we needed groceries. We had some time so after getting directions, the walking shoes were pointed in the direction of old town San Jose. Wandering the streets, we found a delightful plaza and then some restaurants. Thinking we had seen old town, we turned to the left and walked up to find Walmart. Since it was there and we were, we loaded up with groceries. I did have my wheeled carry-on with me, so that got the flat of water and we lugged the rest. We walked along the highway to try and figure out our way, but since going into Walmart darkness had descended. After looking at a map, we turned to the left, thinking that we were going the right way.

We weren't.

After walking for a bit, I saw two gentleman parking their car and I piped up "Ummm I think we are lost, can you help?" These two men turned out to be American and on vacation with their wives. We must have looked pathetically done in as they offered us a ride to the hotel. I think we must have scared them as they referred to their wives a lot and I wonder if we got them into trouble. For the record, we were very grateful for the ride as we were still a good couple of kilometers away. Being grateful and not wanting to put them out any further, we got out on the side of the road so that they could avoid the construction. That meant we had to cross the street.

The cactus tree took one look at me and stood up tall, fierce and mean. I tried to sneak past it but no...it reached out and the next thing I knew there was blood everywhere. It oozed through my fingers and pooled fast and furious into the earth on the median. My friend was like where are you and I was muttering " I think we have a problem." She managed to haul groceries while I dripped my way to the bell men. They called me a medic and the relationship was born between Cactus Girl (me) Southern charm (my partner in crime) and the fabulous bell men. Turns out that a pin prick into an artery/vein can spew a lot of mess. (Sorry about the clean up men). A bottle of rubbing alcohol, band aids and lots of gauze later and we were good to go.

Tomorrow was a brand new day, with no mistakes in it yet...but that is another story for tomorrow, or as soon as I get around to it!




No comments:

Post a Comment