Thursday, March 3, 2011

Mexico: Sian Ka'an

The Mayan Massage. That is the first thing that comes to mind when I reflect on yesterday as it was such an apt description by Alex the guide. But of course, I am already ahead of myself. After a couple of lazy days at the resort, I knew that I would be a little restless. So, before leaving, I had prowled a lot to tourist websites and found this tour to Sian Ka'an at a discounted price. Thinking that it was close to the resort, I booked it.

Yesterday was the day. In the lobby with my ticket at 645 am. Kids were munching on breakfast and I look across to a driver lollygagging by a vehicle. That is our vehicle and they were EARLY. Early in Mexico doesn't happen very often so I was already impressed. In we go, and do the usual drive through the other resorts to view them and pick up more people. Yes, the Wyndam looks nice but the Barelo might be worth a try as well. It is that much closer to Tulum, which really looked like it was worth a more detailed exploration.

However, after our group was organized into Italians and English speaking, a quick stop in Tulum to change money, have a technical stop (that is how our guide put it!) and grab some fluids for the 2 hour drive. The first part was smooth on asphalt, but the last hour or 40 kms, was the Mayan Massage. I wonder if it sounds as funny in Italian? But the roads there are made from sand and rock. The rain just craters the road, so the vans rock and roll, shimmy and shake, beeb and bop for miles. The guide (Alex) is conversing alternativatively in English and Italian as two Italians still wound up with us. Meanwhile, he is standing, moving around the vehicle and generally acting as though he is on smooth land.

On arrival through some dense junlge, we board fishing boats and are transported to this quaint village. Another technical stop where we lock away our belongings, pay the tax of 25 pesos, and eat a tortilla snack. Back to the boats and off through the shallow clear waters we zoom at top speed. First, there are osprey babies in the nest. Then, sea turtles trying to chew through lobster traps. Then across the water to watch dophins swimming. We were all excited trying to spot them and found a small pod. Then it was to the frigate bird colony before snorkelling near the lagoon.

I have to admit that I was disappointed in not being able to snorkel. Child the small decided that this was the perfect time to borrow a towel and curl up for a nap. I guess the rocking of the boat was too much for her. I did wake her up in time for the lagoon swim. A whole beach to ourselves. It was amazing. Child the elder complained that the water was too salty but I wasn't listening.

Back we went to the beach and ate lunch. Vegetables, rice, chicken, grilled fish, salad, tortillas and hibiscus tea. Delicious! Fed some maraudering dogs and collected a couple of ant farms. Then it was time to return. It was such a fabulous experience to see everything in a UNESCO world heritage site. The animals were free and it really thrilled us to find them in the wild.

So, now I am seriously questioning the sense of some of my compatriots that travel here. This tour is mainly booked by Italians and other European visitors. Our guide has only taken 30 North Americans since he started with the company in 2005. This is a World Heritage Site. It is not too far to go and it is very well worth it. It was cheaper than Xel-ha and Xcaret. My challenge to you is on your next visit to the Mayan Riviera, book this tour.http://www.playadelcarmentours.com/ or anything else. We had no problems and no hassle with this company.

Come and play! Next, Xplor tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment