Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Technology: What happens when...

Yes, the keyboard feels the same. It is just like the last time that I used it. My fingers ripple over the keys in familiar and easy strokes. How I have missed this. I used to be able to blog very swiftly. My thoughts would pour out and onto the screen in what seemed to be effortless ability. And then IT happened. The computer refused to connect to the internet. It refused to acknowledge that I had a wireless router. It refused to operate. In short: it quit.

I have to admit that what happened next was not so pleasent. I did the proverbial rant and inner temper tantrum. Then, I did the usual "I can fix it myself" routine. Then, I asked for help and got nowhere fast. By the Monday, I was resigned for the need for professional help. The computer went to the doctor and there it stayed for two long weeks.

I did try to use other computing devices to blog but inevitably, writers block happened. I don't know why it was hard to type more than a paragraph, but it was. I have no idea why I have to be sitting in my uncomfortable chair or on the floor to blog, bit I do. So, now I have a fully functional computer again that has been cleaned up and streamlined. I have been denuded of $300 cash to make sure that all my programs were wiped out and that the system was fully functional. I have spent 13 hours reinstalling everything that I needed to get work and play done. All for the sake of the one lap top that I really like to use.

So what makes us so attached to one particular technological device? I love the way the keys feel on this. I hate typing on my phone as I am so slow and clumsy with it. I don't have an emotional attachment to that device at all. I can see several readers now shaking their heads in wry amusement as I am notorious for never having my phone accessible, or having lost it, or failing to hear it. (I just don't like it much...and consider it a necessary evil.) I like my Ipod - but if it broke, I wouldn't feel the need to fix it right away or replace it. But without a functional computer that had a keyboard that I liked? I was lost. Miserable. I sulked. I blamed people for breaking it. I was generally not that nice to know when it was mentioned and really....it is just a thing, a toy, a device that stimulates better communication. I am really good with facebook!

The lesson that I have to learn is to let go and stop worrying when something isn't working the way I want it to. I guess I could actually go and talk to some real people... . On the other hand, blogging is just so much fun. I don't think I am going anywhere quite yet.

(And the readers...settle in and get comfortable...the next segment is only a click away.)

No comments:

Post a Comment