Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Travel Guide for Vancouver Island: To drive or not

I have my comfortable chair. I have my water and the TV is playing Tour de France reruns as I didn't get to see it while I was on holidays. I have a weakness for watching athletes perform great feats in terrain that is stunningly mouthwateringly "I wish I was there". So...I haven't blogged. Not because I didn't have anything to say. I just didn't have time to say it.

Traveling with small children is no small accomplishment. From where I live, this road trip lasted 60 hours and two weeks in length. My children have learned how to occupy themselves in a vehicle for ridiculous lengths of time due to necessity. We really do live that far north. So, first lesson for the travel guide. What do you do to get there and back and still keep your sanity?

Things to have:
  1. A small case of movies for the DVD player and a cable long enough to plug in. These movies should be agreed on by all children watching it.
  2. A portable video game device - game time lasted an hour tops
  3. Coloring and small crayons in a holder that fits into the standard cup holder. Anything else will fall into the cracks of the van and will be lost until you unpack.
  4. Books 
  5. Music that they will sing to.
  6. Soft pillows for the nap - and a blankie.
Oh and the best thing was to have a flat of water by their feet and a cooler with wraps instead of sandwiches. Who knew that this would keep them fed for hours?

So, we had a great time visiting family and friends. We toodled up and down the island to see the sites and found some remarkable things to do. I think that we made some great discoveries without doing anything in Victoria. Family is of course, family and you enjoy your wonderful memories but if you were traveling to Vancouver Island, I thought I would give you my top 10 things of things to do on Vancouver Island.

  1. Tiger Lily Farms with a picnic at Englishman River Falls. I have done this every trip and they have pony rides, farm animals that you can interact with, and great staff. The Falls are just stunning. 
  2. Duncan Forest Museum.
  3. Raptor Centre in the Cowichan Valley. This place was off the beaten path but was so worth it.
  4. Alberni Valley Train and Logging Museum. Amazing place. You can stop at Cathedral Grove on the way.
  5. Newcastle Island for a small boat trip, picnics and family friendly strolls.
  6. Rathtrevor Beach in Parksville...it is still the best for sandcastles.
  7. Wildplay in Nanaimo. My girls loved the ropes course.
  8. Minigolf in Parksville. Still the best course.
  9. Ice Cream on the Pier in Campbell River. Watching the fishermen was really fun. If you like sailing...a water trip would probably be better...but I get seasick.
  10. Bathtub races in Nanaimo. Very fun to watch...



And there you have it, the list of what was fun and gave great photo opportunities. So, it is late...but I am back and have more points to ponder at some other time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment