Monday, January 3, 2011

Grateful for the Little Things

Having just spent the past ten days travelling in the proverbial planes, trains and automobiles, I have decided to take a moment to step back and reflect on the small things. People are asking how the trip to Disney World was. What was the best part? Did I have fun? Did I relax?

As you know, no trip is ever perfect and there are those stories that will make me wonder and reflect on the wisdom shown  by those in the tourism and travel industry. Those are the details like the hotel losing the reservation, no seats on an aircraft due to overbooking even though those seats were purchased last June, the blustering winds that chilled the bone in Florida, and the endless lines of Disney. I remember thinking that I was so tired of people complaining. Doesn't it sound like that is what I am about to do? I think not.

The above is just background information to say that I am grateful to those that understand their jobs and know how to make people happier by going the extra mile. We had the hotel clerk that allowed the girls to bounce off furniture while he checked us into a deluxe room for half the price. There was the delightful lady at Epcot who noticed that I was distressed as I was not to be permitted my rolling wheeled bag and so gave me a voucher to take to get a backpack from the gift shop. That moment alone made the day special and much less stressful. The airline clerk that went the extra mile to ensure that we did get on the aircraft, even though it was not her station or her responsibility. The people that we met in the lines were funny, caring and from all over. We now share memories.

There are more moments and memories to be had. The cold breeze chilled everyone at NASA so we did not have to contend with long lines. The dinner at Port St. John was downhome delicious and the best chocolate cake ever! People are more friendly when they are sharing your warm patch. Meeting all the Disney characters and seeing the children's faces light up when they got to meet their favorites. The thrill of thunder mountain, soarin' at Epcot and safari at Animal Kingdom. We dined well and watched amazing fireworks and parades. I think that we had a great trip.

The best part? The girls wishes and dreams were not disappointed. They saw Daisy and Cinderella. They left out the magic key for Santa Claus and he found them. The wonder in their eyes was phenomenal. Most of all, they were treated like princesses and that made them shine brighter.

The most satisfying thing for me was that after two days of travelling, we arrived in Seattle. I had been seated next to a Dr. of Pychology who said I had the most wonderful children she had ever had the pleasure of flying with. (I couldn't make that up if I tried!). They might irk each other, but they play hard and love harder. They are special and unique. It was quite a compliment. And the hotel clerk offered them warm cookies from the kitchen on arrival. What could be better? Little things. Smiles and thank yous. Cookies. Going the extra mile. Yes, I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment