Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Taxi Driver: Should I stay or should I go now?


This year, I have perfected my career. No, not the high faluting degree earned career that I dreamed of. This one actually costs me money, rather than pays my bills. It is the point of my school season that I sit down and evaluate the schedules and driving that I do each year to honor the commitments made by me, and others. Ok - it is mostly me.

Is it worth it? Powered by a paranoia that believes that I have to teach the girls to live actively in moments, to be creative and fluid in their growing minds and bodies, I have registered mine for dance, gymnastics, swimming, music and art. For most of the year, the schedule has been a bit crazy, but manageable. I get by with a little help from my friends.

Now, the merry month of May has become the the massive month of mayhem. It is a bit distressing to realize that I have the power and ability to assist others but when it comes to cloning myself, it isn't going very well. I have several days when the children's activities are suddenly in active conflict with each other. I have no idea how I am going to coerce plead beg and or persuade people to help me.

I am a taxi driver. It is true. I drive my children and those of others to where they need to be on time and usually with some enjoyment for the conversations and insight that only children can offer into daily life. I listen to their joys. I listen to their complaints. I get in trouble when I am lost or late. Traffic snarls make my snarl seem insignificant. For the most part, I have content passengers. The one extra that I do for my "clients" is the provision of food. Who gets into a taxi absolutely starving? Children do.

On that note, I am not McDonald's friendly nor Dairy Queen, nor Subway or Burger King. I am not a huge fan of fast food, although I like to have food accessible and available quickly. These patrons of my cab that I drive have learned that I do not enjoy the starvation shennanigans. They are learning to eat their lunches and learning that I will not go through the drive through. Sneaks are fun, but some of my clients are no longer permitted sneaks.

This is about being the super mom. I guess I will wait and see how I rank on that scale later. Right now, I am back to my schedules and pop ups and liteny of complaints from the peanut gallery. I have to pack more snacks, and get them up again in the morning. I can only hope that somebody somewhere ...never mind....that thought isn't worth finishing.

Is it worth it? And who is it worth it for? Hmmmm points to ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment