Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Zoom zoom

Sometimes, old habits just die hard. I was pondering things after hearing about my Gran today. This vibrant lady who is stubbornly clinging to youth despite her 89ish years on the planet took a little turn towards having to admit to being elderlyish today. She was found in a bit of state on her stairs and caused the family some anxious moments. It got me to remembering how I passed the time when I last visited her.

I was living overseas and going to University. The university habit is one that I hear she still has. Who knew that schooling was free once you were a senior? I had to write this lengthy dissertation for the completion of my degree and stayed up to the wee hours of the morning to make that happen. However, when you are up that late in the depths of the first morning hours, there is not much you can do for company. I used to turn on the telly (poor Anna) and listen to Formula One cars race around circuits across the globe. Zoom zoom...

Now, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that there were some rather nice looking drivers at the time, plus a talented Canadian driver (OK so he had a good car). This was a great distraction. My year in the UK was punctuated by the races that I watched late at night while writing my dissertation, visits to the pub and visits to family. Laughing to myself, I have to admit that I had a wonderful time.

By the end of the summer, the work was done and the damage was done. Little did I know that I was permanently hooked. My gran encouraged me to travel and so with a friend, I set out to stomp my mark across Europe. I also stomped my way across several F1 circuits, my favorite being Monoco.

So, in order to properly reminisce and ponder the situation as it currently stands, I have bowed to tradition. I have the advantage of PVR and have recorded the Grand Prix of both Barcelona and Monoco. I have my beer (pint if you will) and I am staying up way too late to watch.

Cheers Gran, this moment funnily enough belongs to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment