Saturday, October 15, 2011

New Orleans: Last Day

So sadly the time in New Orleans is drawing to an end. This morning started with a fabulous bakery run to the Rose Cafe (not the proper name but I can't remember it) where they had some amazing pasteries and coffee. So, I stocked up with enough delights for breakfast and fed us while suitcases were stuffed together and makeup done etc. Then, we hit the road for the airport with me driving. Might I suggest you don't rent an Aveo? Those brakes are very touchy!

Delivery to the airport complete, I still had one partner in shennanigans...so after little deliberation...off to the San Francisco Plantation we went. Tours started at 9:40 and we got there at, you guessed it, 9:40 am. We paid our entrance ticket and were met at the sunshiniest house I have seen. It is settled on the original property but you can see how flooding took it's toll on the land. You can also see how industry has encroached on this tourism style experience. If you ignore the freighters runnining the Mississippi and factory docks (who had a wonderful old style train), you can imagine the grounds being covered in beautiful European gardens and hoop skirts sashaying the walkway.

The house is bright and colorful, but even better was the tour guide. The lady was a character and had full ownership of the history. From seeing an 1860 shower that was for men only in the wine cellar, to the downstairs dining area, to the room taxes and corset stories, to the civil war and slavery. It was all covered with this lady's personalized flavor that seems to have made it very memorable. I can't decide who I like better, the Laura or the San Fransisco. It was a delightful morning.

The men's shower
School House for locals
                                                                The house: San Francisco

Then, we drove back into town and decided to find the parking at the war museum. The parking meter had been broken the day before so we thought there might be a chance of free parking. The plan was to get parking and find lunch. Or...what really happened. We got a bit lost, found Magazine Street and found the Lucky Ladle. We ordered lunch to go and asked for a good place to eat it near the river. We were sent to the FLY. Spelling might be completely wrong on that but that's what it sounded like. En route we did some costume shopping at a very disorganzed, Uptown Costume. By that, I mean you had to find what you want, hunt down staff to get it for you, hunt down the staff person who was supposed to get it for you and then have them find people to take your money. Seriously, check out took 25 minutes after they needed id for all card types. I nearly left the stuff in the store, I was choked. Lunch made up for that though. We got a bit off course again but found the Fly and settled to eat a scrumptious lunch watching barges and freighters along the river, and listening to Latino music drift over from the Zoo who were having Latino days.




Next up was the second airport run. Now, I am by myself in New Orleans and managed to get back to the resort where I have lazed by the pool, read a whole book from cover to cover, packed a bit and when I went down to print my boarding pass (another upscale production) I wound up working the desk and helping with customers. Crazy but fun. So, the party is escalating outside and as for me...the New Orleans adventure is done. Heading for home starting out at 5:00 am. See you on the flip side.

No comments:

Post a Comment