Thursday, October 27, 2011

Sometimes You Need A Shoulder

I guess not everyone can have a fabulous week all the time. Sometimes, there are those little things that get in the way. Reality can hit hard with a ton of bricks sometimes and in those times, sometimes we all need a shoulder to lean on. In the tough times, I have a very bad habit of holing up and not talking to folk. (So, to those that I should have been talking to...I'm sorry and I will improve...I just don't quite know when.) But as soon as I reach out, it is wonderful to know that I have people that are willing to talk to me, pick up the pieces and help me process them.

This hasn't been a particularly bad week. It has been hectic and busy. The children are tired and are not 100 percent. There have been unexpected moments to deal with...all in a days work if you are a mom. You need to know where the bandaids are, where the cough medicine is, where the towels are, how to do homework in a second language, how to not lose your child's homework, attend Parent Teacher Interviews, support them. You support them in everything.

You also have to be willing to discipline them. They have to say sorry when you catch them misbehaving. They are not allowed to say nasty things or be rude to other adults. They have to be respectful of personal space. They have to articulate how they feel. Sometimes, I have to have help in processing this. Today, I have been blessed by school counsellors, wise friends, and loving children that understand that I am not perfect, but am willing to help. What I love, is that they are willing to work with me, stand along side me and work through the stuff that is generated from day to day feelings.

Those who know me, know what I have had on the go this week. So thanks! But, I have now spent time on chapters buying books to provide more insight. I have slowed down enough to breathe today. Sometimes, it is really more important to talk, to snuggle. The mess can wait on the kitchen table. Today was a day that they needed to be cuddled. The counters are covered in clutter. But I have kids that know that they mattered more than a clean kitchen, more than homework, more than money. No wasn't an answer today. Today was providing the shoulder for my girls to lean on and in turn, my friends lent me theirs. Somedays, despite having a couple of low days, I love my life because people matter, I matter and so do you. That's the bottom line.

Believe, Love, and Hold on Tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment