Thursday, October 25, 2012

Las Vegas: Planes, Taxis and the PBR

The alarm clanged loudly and I managed to stumble out of bed, snag my suitcases and meander out into the frigid 4:00 am blanketed dawn. It was swirling ice pellets and I huddled into my coat and then into the taxi. Destination: Las Vegas. Little did I know, but this was to be the day of very irritating taxi experiences.

Now, where I live you have to book a taxi in advance. They ask for your method of payment to which I responded with credit card. I was very clear. Cab fare from my house to the airport averages about $50.00 so that is always more than I like to have on me. So, I get to the airport and reach over to provide the driver with my card. He blatently and belligerantly refuses to take my card and demands that I go into the airport to get cash and incur the bank fee. I thought not so I called the cab company (Access cabs) and tried to get some resolution only to discover that the attendent at that end was completely hopeless as well. I finally opted for the bank machine option so that I didn't miss my flight. However, I deducted the amount of the fee from the bill.The flights were easy and relatively on time with Air Canada. Even with the deicing and the snow, I actually managed to get to Las Vegas early.



I landed in Las Vegas, collected my bags at the snazzy new terminal and headed out to the cab stand. The line was shuffling along nicely and I was thrilled to be close to the warm skies and bright sunshine. Finally it was my turn. I loaded my suitcase and hopped into the cab, only to discover that this driver had no idea where the Wyndham Grand Desert Resort was. None at all. Frustrated, I got out and rifled through my purse in order to find the paperwork that had the address on it. Then, I had to enquire as to who actually knew where the hotel was. I got a great driver in the end that took me the shortest way (not the usual in Vegas as they like to trap tourists into driving the strip) and I got to the resort. No wonder contestants on the Amazing Race have issues.

The hotel at the Wyndham Grand Desert Resort, well lets say it is lovely. There are pools, lovely rooms and a very accommodating staff. There is free limousine services and it is walking distant from the Strip without being on the strip. My friend and I have the one bedroom suite to ourselves and feel like we could live here. This place is lovely. 

So, this is Las Vegas. We had a couple of hours to kill and since my friend elected to pack her daughters clothes instead of her own, we went shopping at the Miracle Mile Shops. That is fun, especially Victoria Secret. Laden down with our purchases, we raced back to the hotel and tossed the bags into our room before heading down to the cab stand at the hotel. The limousines were all booked and the cab driver refused to take us claiming there was too much traffic. He suggested that we walk and in the end, to make it on time for the PBR, we did.  Craziness. 

At the Thomas and Mack Center, we collected our tickets and then headed in. There is something electric about the air in the nosebleed seats that we had. You can feel the heat from the fireworks and are eye level with the Jumbotron. There is a great layout created that allows you to see no matter where you are sitting so it was incredible to watch. Chris Shivers on his retirement World Finals rodeo won the round. We laughed with the clowns, admired the bravery of the athletes and well – you have to know that there is an incredible amount of advertising. (Insert about an hours worth for the event). I know they depend on sponsorship but I have to wonder if there is a better way for the spectators that have come from across the country to see it live and in person. I would rather be introduced to the stock and have feature commentaries on who the stock contractors are than listen to a million plugs for products. Don’t get me wrong, I thoroughly loved the event and am going back on Saturday but…

J.B. Mauney after riding the last draft pick available in round 2: Awesome!
After the event, starvation set in. We walked back along our route (knowing full well that today was not the day to be trying to get a cab) and headed into the Hard Rock CafĂ©. They were featuring a live band who rocked out some amazing tunes. The food was pretty good too. Now, it is time for bed…the Grand Canyon awaits.










No comments:

Post a Comment