Saturday, October 13, 2012

Words: Mean what you say.

Words are interesting things. They have power to shape your thoughts, feelings and relationships. They can float on air and be etched into memories. The spelling of words can be a headache, especially with autocorrect, but even spelled incorrectly there are words that have power. My todder childs first " I luv yu mammy." That had power and emotion that I can't express. The notes on my pillow with artistic drawings that let me know that I am valued, even if I think I have had a day of doing it wrong.

Funnily enough, I have spent some time over the past few days pondering this subject. Facebook being the medium for words that it is, can be an inspirational place. I personally like the "I am enough" postings that I see daily. It can also be a place for debate and discussion as well as the place to catch up with your friends lives. I have been fortunate to watch an infant child's positive and heartwrenching recovery from cancer while watching another friend journey into motherhood for the first time. These are real blessings and I treasure them. Often, facebook is used for venting and celebration simultaneously. I even wonder how North American versus European the whole data thing is.

The funniest thing that happened this week was the tangents that postings can take. I am still amused over one person's debate over facebook. You see, when you try to be all intelligent and all knowing, it can slide back and bite you in the word. When it is written down, you do have to go back and hit delete or people like me can backtrack and read it again. I had a debate with someone I don't even know all because a friend posted a lovely comment about finding happiness ever after. Some took it to mean human relationships while other's like me took it to be a point of finding inner happiness within themselves on earth as it is in heaven. I still maintain my point of view, but I loved how the other women took it to be about a man. Even better was when that person insisted that they hadn't used the word "man". Being me, I copied and pasted her comment in full (which I shouldn't have done because that individual proceeded to use it to think that I disagreed with her statement and I opened it up to rant and debate) and pointed out that she had indeed used the word "man".

For the record, I encourage my daughters to read the paper bag princess and I believe that you can find happily ever after with all people. This includes friends, family, co-workers and your relationship with God. It takes work. It takes repetition and sticking to your core values and self. It takes knowledge. Knowledge comes from words and they have the power to change you.

Eventually, the conversation came to a close with the original poster trying to smooth the ruffled feathers and allowing most people off the hook. I got told I misunderstood the other person. I didn't, but that is where I chose to stop commenting as they were choosing not to read the words. Words have power and sometimes choosing to not say the words is the hardest thing you can do. Words can be used as weapons and wound, whether spoken or written. While I could have argued, and tried to vindicate my point of view, sometimes I have to understand that the only value in that would have been for myself. There would have been no point as to make myself understood, the words I would have used would most likely have been read incorrectly again or misunderstood or not even been read correctly. I tend to get incensed when words are used to damage others so I refrained myself. As you can see, it has bothered me enough to mention here but then this blog is for me to reflect on my own understanding and motivations surrounding the world in which I live so I get to be myself here. I also think that sometimes what I have to say has value for others and that they can learn from it.

When using the language that you have, be aware that your words are going to be reshaped and rethought. Did Shakespeare really believe that his words would be capturing spellbound audiences hundreds of years later? Did he intend to be a literary genuis? I think not. I think he was just having fun doing what he loved and struggled with it on occasion. This blog was in my head for days and wouldn't go away. I had to write it. I still don't know if it is just for me or for someone else. But I have had this heavy head for days so I HAD to write it. And, I still have more thoughts.

When speaking, use your words for encouragement and blessing when you can. Disciplinary words are still a blessing to those that need it, but be firm and gentle with them. Our children will be the better for it and adults take criticism better this way. I do myself. Trying exploring your words in your head before you speak them. Try out different phrases to see what they sound like in your own mind before they come out of your mouth. Difficult, isn't it? But sometimes, the exercise is truly helpful.

Keep in mind that when you post words, write words and put them on paper that people will read them, edit them and create their own meaning from them. You can't begrudge them that right (write?). People will draw different things from this blog for example. Some will see me a a preacher (not intended as I just needed to get the word out of my head for my own sanity), some will see this as an extension of the post that got me thinking (not necessarily but it illustrated my thought process well enough that it was a good example), and some will just think oh, she's having a bad day (I'm not). But, the written words can be reread at a later time when I will need to hear the message again. This will be here when you need the message again. And, I love to play with words and this is a great outlet for me.

Coming soon, the vegas blog - my version of travel guides...until the next time my brain needs to air out~

Oh and one more thing...sometimes an image speaks 1000 words...




No comments:

Post a Comment