Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Tomorrow is a Brand New Day

"Tomorrow is a brand new day with no mistakes in it yet." I have read and re-read these words through the pages of Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery. I wonder if she knew as she penned these words that they would have impact a hundred years later. I wish I could think that the "thinks I think" (Dr. Suess) and the words I write would have impact positively.

The power of positive thinking got some fine tuning today. In fact, I had to turn to a few folk today for some requested coaching in order to effectively deal with drama. I am amazed at the impact that a few people have in my life and I don't always think they know how appreciated they are.

First stop, to the teachers at the schools. I have bright, challenging and creative children that do not always follow the road well traveled. Today, at parent teacher conference, I discovered my eldest had elected to choose to skip enough practices to be able to spend more time with her friends. Her commitment to choir was less important to her than her friends, which I get, but the way I discovered it...not so good. What I really appreciated though was that two teachers took extra time to help get through to her. They care about the academics but also equally care about her character. After 40 minutes, that also eventually included her report card discussions, she came out with messages of I can and I will learn, play and be my best. The ironic part was that I had gone initially to see her science fair project, which was very well done, to support her in that. The emotional roller coaster of a tweenie to be.

Thinking that I was done with that, it was time to cruise to the other school to get the younger. She chattered about her day and I realized with growing concern and frowns, plus a sick feeling to my stomach that the Grade 3 girls as a whole were at it again. Gangs this time if you please. Seriously? I really don't care so long as kids aren't verbalizing taunts and goading each other into exclusive behavior and/or deliberately getting others into hot water. I started asking some pointed questions and my younger child did what any self-motivated child would do, back pedaled like mad and played the Not ME card. I didn't buy it for a second as where there is smoke...fire surely follows. That meant a careful email to the teacher (no names mentioned) but requesting that someone keep an eye on the tone of voice being used. My younger can be very blunt and sassy and there is no way I am having that. Not more than 10 minutes later, I get the email back that yes, Keelin can have a counselor meeting to learn about tone and yes, the girls will be spoken to about inclusion and respecting all players. The funny thing is that the girls have known each other for years...it feels like a pecking order is being established and that they are vying for position. Crazy.

That wore me out and then we get to the pool. I was stunned again by the girls arguing in the change rooms. There are a lot of Grade 3/4's in the change rooms at that time and I just looked at the spitfires and thought "who needs enemies when you have friends." At that point, I decided to let them go as mine were less involved. The coaches could deal. I took the opportunity to get some coaching on how to cope with temperamental folk while the kids swam back and forth.

Was I really that bad as an 8 year old? It seems to me that I don't remember enough about being 8. I know I was moody and temperamental at 14 but holy smokes, it seems to come early now. And then the older girls try to help and that just seems to make things worse.

Totally worn out mentally, I remembered that we were out of our prescriptions for asthma so off to the drug store we went. This was an opportunity to search for the snow pants that had gone MIA the day before. I had already had a mom look, but the exercise of looking is important too. So, did that and no pants. Came home and no snow pants. Sent Dad down to look and he found the pants. How does THAT happen? Sigh.

And still the day of the crazies wasn't done. Music practice and vocal practice. Resistance is futile (Star Wars?) Art lesson and neighborhood child in the house. Supper cobbled together late. (Burn baby burn) Later bedtime. Lunches are not done and nor is my work. Don't even look at the kitchen. Instead, I am going to take some more time to breathe.

I think the rest of my day will be better spent reading, and when I am needing more advice...this time I am going to my ultimate source: the bible.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10 

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong."



Proverbs 19:20 

Listen to advice and accept instruction, that you may gain wisdom in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment