Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Olympics: My take

I am a follower of several sports. Since I have children, I tend to watch sporting events for the promotion of healthy lifestyles, the outdoorsyness of them, speed, adrenaline and essentially, living vicariously through the achievements of others. At the Olympics, sport becomes a thing that generates national pride or national dismay. It doesn't seem to matter where you are from.

I remember being a child who loved track and field. I remember sprinting and running the Dingle Bingle Hill. I hated that hill as I was never one for long distance running. Still, if we wanted to go to track meets, we had to participate. For me the most important part was being good at something. The bleachers being full and travelling in the bus made memories. As a team, there were the good days and the bad. I still think that it was a great experience.

Watching these Olympics, I have had to turn them off. I can't watch anymore. There has been more controversy, protests and interesting calls. The media articles and coverage have tried to promote the positive elements. I liked watching how Felix won the 200 metres and how van Koeverden got a silver medal. That is what I want my girls to see. An appreciation of sport and a sense of fairness. Some of the athletes go too far in their arrogance on the track. I don't appreciate my kids learning that. This Olympics seems to have highlighted poor officiating in several sports, defecting athletes, more drug users, and a sense of injustice prevails. How can I turn that on? I have taken to reading about it on google instead but find myself playing the google games instead as they are at least fun and uplifting.

I believe that the best athlete should win.
I believe that all athletes should have the same opportunities within the realm of their sports.
I believe that doing your very best, even if you are last, is good enough. You were good enough to get there in the first place and you earned it.
I am proud to watch how athletes win with pride and grace.
I am proud to see losses handled with dignity and respect for the other team.

I would like to read more on why certain protests are approved and changed (gymnastics comes to mind) and others are not (fencing comes to mind). It feels odd and not what the Olympics is supposed to be about.

Harder, faster, stronger, better.

Please put the Olympic Spirit back into these games so that we can all be proud to watch and celebrate the World's best. If not, I am quite happy to watch more of the Amazing Race or Masterchef. In one, I can travel vicariously through others and in the other perhaps learn how to cook better. After all, I did manage to blow up my crockpot this week.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you to the Canadian Soccer team - and Usain Bolt...I think today you did just that!

    ReplyDelete