Thursday, August 23, 2012

Spontaneous Moments: Don't Think

Don't think. Don't. I know you think that you want to think it over, think about things, plan, scheme it out, perhaps even plot. Don't. What is the worst thing that can happen?

Sometimes, there needs to be time for the unexpected, the unplanned. I love that air of uncertainty that comes with someone showing up unannounced. Or that moment that you decide to go for coffee and a friend tags along. Quality time doesn't have to be planned but it certainly needs to be appreciated when it is offered. After a rather challenging exploration of my workday, which including discovering that I missed a course that I was supposed to be at due to other work issues that came up and put that out of my mind, I was rather relieved to get to the gym and work out some of the kinks. It was zumba so I donned my brightest of orange and purple to cheer myself up. But it was the conversation afterwards and the spontaneous cuppa with another lady that soothed my mood back to some semblance of normal.

I came home to yet another friend. Awesome! She strummed music and chilled out while I basically sat back and relaxed. The best part was she had even parented the girls so I didn't have to. I just have to remember that the youngest is requiring a fort building lesson in structure and design. That won't be spontaneous...

School starts on Monday. It really does. Most people that know me understand that I am crazy and keep a hectic schedule in the hopes of maintaining a healthy lifestyle full of opportunities. Heaven forbid that I miss out on anything afterall. But the one thing that I appreciate most of all is the random acts of visiting. Random acts of tourism? Sometimes even that funny text message or facebook post. Not everything in my world is on the timetable, nor should it be.

How many of you have taken the time out of your day to reach out to someone else? There are those that I know that struggle with the everyday business of just seeing to their famililes. I appreciate that and try to meet them where they are at. On the otherhand, I know folks that just think that people will automatically know what they are thinking and don't bother to reach out. Do you remember how it feels to get a letter in the mail? A flower just because? A dinner invitation for no reason other than spending time?

Some of the best moments in life are the little things. You can drop in on someone for a quick 15 minutes and change their day for the better. By saying hello, you are saying that they matter. They are important. They are worth the time. And to be fair, that needs to go in reverse. If someone stops by, they need to be there. The TV show can wait. Dinner can be stretched. The children won't malfunction from being 10 minutes later to bed. Patience, empathy, friendship should never be discounted or forgotten about. By advocating the spontaneous moments, I am really asking people to appreciate the moments that so quickly pass most folk by.

If the impulse strikes you to call someone, spend time, do something about it...be spontaneous. Don't think.

Do.

You will be remembered and loved.
At least by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment