Monday, September 19, 2011

How is this possible? The art of losing things.

So, the topic of conversation for this evening is the art of losing things. I have been absolutely smitten by this topic for days now as it has rattled around my brain. Everytime, I try to let it go...there it is like a nasty boomerang back at me. Funnily enough, it is not about the things that I lose...my keys, my cell phone, my marbles, my mind...the usual suspects. No, I am fascinated by the things that other people are losing.

You see, around this time of year I spend a great deal of time driving up and down the highways and byways of my community. There is a lot of construction going on. Three bridges, over 40 intersections are torn up that I have counted and just as many detours to be frustrated by, and several new stop lights and stop signs means that I spend more time in the car staring out the various windows of choice. So, here is a list of the things I wonder about in terms of lost things...

How do you lose a pair of shoes onto the road way? Really nice runners or work boots? These seem to turn up not in singles but in pairs. I don't seem to drive with my feet hanging out the windows. The shoes are almost always on the drivers side...so what are people doing?

I have also seen at least three pairs of really nice sunglasses on the road. Again...are you driving along and just deciding that you don't want them anymore? Then why are they not broken and are still intact, face up, shining into the sun to catch my attention. How far out the window are you leaning to lose a pair of sunglasses to the side of the road. And please don't confuse these with eyeglasses...a whole new category unto itself.

There are also various uniform pieces, coffee cups, wallets, and clothing strewn aimlessly along the roads these days. It fascinates me as to what people are getting up to under the whole distracted driving law that we are adjusting to. I will also say that I have not seen any makeup kits so that apparently isn't the issue.

So, how is this possible? How do you lose things that really shouldn't be possible to lose while driving? I really am curious and really want to know. So if this is you...feel free to chip in your two cents worth...or wait...did you lose that too?

No comments:

Post a Comment