Sunday, September 18, 2011

Milestones

Everybody has milestones in their lives. These are rites of passage and they are those events that are special to individuals. These are events that are unique to individuals. It is that unique experience that stands out as a highlight of a birth, graduation, job placement, special day, special memory and so on.

Have you ever thought about the impact that these milestones have? Yes, they are an individual thing that if an individual chooses not to advertise, can easily be overlooked and/or most often forgotten. Some people, like me, like to celebrate birthdays and recognize these rights of passage. I just finished throwing a massive party for my soon to be 6 year old. To me, these are joyous occasions that are a time to get together people that matter for an event that matters.

However, I have just had the pleasure of celebrating a friends birthday as well. We had a wonderful visit and a great evening out. I admit, I like to give presents that celebrate the individual. But I have to confess that I relied on facebook to remind me. While facebook seemed to serve as the main point of reminder for many to wish her a happy birthday...it seems that those people that maybe should have remembered forgot.

Just because birthdays and anniversaries and special days might not matter to some personality types, it would be wise to remember that there are those that genuinely need the acknowledgement. Sometimes, it is the ones that don't say much about events that appreciate it the most. Flowers, a card, a phone call that comes on time can be the best gifts. Spending time with someone can be a real treat and not a chore.

Take the time to build positive memories with each other. Simple things that can make someone's day brighter. Remember the milestones...and don't think that it doesn't matter. I have a family that doesn't do well with the dates but note that I do the best I can with the tools I have to remember your milestones. It also helps to post the reminders if they matter. It is also Ok to be upset when someone important forgets. I appreciate those little things. So, thank you to those that made my birthday special. Thank you to those that made little tich's day great and thanks for those things that are yet to come. I can't wait to make more special memories with all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment