Friday, September 9, 2011

Those hot summer nights

Ok. I know that it is September and that it is really the onset of Fall. The leaves are turning colors and you can start to swish your way through the leaves that pile along the fence line. But tell that to the weather. It is wonderfully hot and a balmy 28 degrees outside at 11 at night. Fabulous. There is a breeze that washes over your face if you are clever enough to be sitting outside and enjoying the northern lights.

Oh they are dancing outside at the moment...if you happen to live in the north.The sky is clear and the constellations are illustrated in technicolor. The lights are green tonight. It is wonderful to have this heat along with a light show.

Today was a gorgeous day. Work and I parted company for the day so I was able to spend the afternoon playing at the waterparks with friends. The buckets soaked the playmates as they tore around in various configurations of friends. I definately need to make a note to pack more for lunch in the future. I had no idea children could consume that much in such a short space of time. And I have been dealing with them for 9 years almost and still manage to be surprised on occasion. We packed up and left after destroying a tent from the wind and once the cheeks were looking more red from sunburn than heat.

Of course, no hooliganting adventure is complete without navigating construction to Tim Hortons. Iced Cap...Yum. But in this heat...does every single route, every single intersection, every place in town have to be under construction? All the workers were loafing in the shade anyway. Honestly, I have no need to sit for long stretches of time and not enjoy the heat. It is not the same in my car.

So, we wound up at home eventually. But really, the only issue with summer in September is that a) you are expected to go to work. b) the kids are back in school and are expected to be there if they are not ill. c) the activities have started and because we plan for poor weather, they are all indoors and d) you are expected to get sufficient sleep. Just exactly how do you sleep in this heat? I have fans, windows open...curtains drawn...but the stickiness is awful. I could be in Mexico for that is how hot it is. 33 degrees in the shade today....and that is Celcius.

For living north, this is a heat wave. It is later than anticipated, but I am sure grateful to have it. Just somebody...tell me how to sleep....Lol. Meanwhile, I am going to snag a drink, sit on the deck, watch the lights dance and relax. Hello summer...its about time...

No comments:

Post a Comment