Monday, February 20, 2012

Hawaii: Hanauma Bay and Teddy Bear World


Ack. The timeshare people got me. OK. I let them so that I could get $150 dollars off my tour bookings but still…I had to sit through yet another one. I was consoled with coffee and chocolate chip cookies. Then, it was back to the flat to acquire a picnic lunch that I had prepacked and we wended our way to the bus stop. Destination: Hanauma Bay.

The bus took forever to come. If you are in a hurry, maybe you might want to be considering the tour. The bus ride is a #22 and costs $2.50 for adults and half that for children. The bus was filled to the brim on a Sunday Service that saw us waiting for a good thirty minutes for the arrival. However, we saw some of the sites and eventually wound up at the bay.

At Hanauma Bay, the first thing that you see is a bunch of chickens running amok all over the grounds. It took a good ten minutes of the girls chasing chickens before we managed to actually take in the spectacular views. From there, we lined up for admission, and lined up for the mandatory movie presentation that strongly encourages you to be a friend to the environment. Don’t touch anything was the mantra. So, then we trundled down the hill and lined up to rent snorkelling gear before I was finally able to plunk all my belonging on a patch of sand.
Hanauma Bay


The friendliest turtle


Chickens? They even laid eggs in the cigarette bins.

My youngest and I suited up and splashed into the water. It was very windy and the bay was choppy. White caps and white surf. This meant that there were strong currents and I was grateful to have Keelin in a lifejacket. However, we saw some fish and when she tired, we went back in. It was very difficult to be mindful of not touching the coral as the water was so shallow. I did scrape my knee…oops.

So, we ate the picnic lunch and then I was able to snorkel some more. My favorite moment was swimming with the big green sea turtle. We played in the sand and built a castle on the down time. Then, we packed up and headed for the bus, thinking we were going to hike the Diamond Head. It was not to be. The bus schedule was running on Island Time. By the time it came, it was too late for that.

This evening was spent having dinner, booking a whale watching tour, finding the Cold Stone Creamery and sun block cream. Check that box. What I wasn’t prepared for was two girls racing off into Teddy Bear World.
Hawaii

The White House

Dinosaurs

Collectables

Elvis

It exists. I am horrified and I might even have to go back tomorrow. I think the pictures speak from themselves. I am going to go have a shower, and try to forget that my girls were that excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment