Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Hawaii: Navatec Whale Watching and Diamond Head

Hawaii. The land of Hawaiian Time. Today was an early start to catch the bus to catch the Navatec Catamaran to go whale watching. Actually, it was the promise of being out on the water with minimal opportunity for seasickness - even in rough seas that won me over. I really love being out on the water, provided I feel safe and like the boat is really on dry land. I know, I'm crazy. But I was so pleased that I wasn't seasick - despite me forgetting the copious amounts of gravol that I usually take. I digress.

This morning, we boarded a lovely Catamaran, complete with photographers and naturalists. It was an interesting tour, and we learned a lot about the endangered Humpback Whale. The waters were calmer than they have been and we were part of a slickly run operation. The boat went out and we found three humpback whales to photograph. Or in my case, attempt to photograph. I always seemed to be on the wrong side of the boat. The views to Diamond Head were appealing. So, I took a lot of pictures of blow spouts, cityscapes and humped backs. The breezes were fresh and the sky slightly cloudy. It was close to perfect. Of course, at the end I felt obligated to buy a print from the professional photographers who did manage to get some decent shots. Who knew what I had at the time. There was $20 of insurance if you like.

Tale of the Humpback Whale


Then, it was back on the bus and back to the hotel for lunch. Diamond Head was calling so it was off to find the bus stop and wait for the bus. Fortunately, it came quickly. So, we rode the bus and then climbed the Diamond Head volcano to the crater and then to the peak. It was an awesome hike. The views were amazing and the observation posts left over from the Second World War were appealing as well. They provided a wind channel and that elusive thing called shade! I still have to wonder at the energy of my youngest who pretty much ran up the hill. I was huffling and puffling, but I had one of my workout bosses voices in my head, so that kept me going (and chuckling).
Lighthouse as seen from Diamond Head

Holy smokes its hot!



Of course, after such a hot climb, the next reasonable thing to do was visit the ColdStone Creamery for dessert. It was cold, creamy and necessary. Then, we walked the waterfront of Waikiki beach, visited the market and window shopped. Found an art gallery and a restaurant that looked amazing as well, before finally coming home to eat dinner. The kids crashed and all is quiet. Now to plan for the Polynesian Cultural Center for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment