Saturday, February 25, 2012

Hawaii - Inter Island Hop

8:30 am. Suitcases were packed and dragged to the curb of the Waikiki Beach Walk Hotel. The Speedi Shuttle was early and so it was a quick getaway from the hotel. Of course, I had time to slip into my favorite coffee shop for my morning London Fog. Yummy. I will miss that shop. On the whole though, I was ready to leave Oahu.

So, the usual chaos emerged at the airport. You have to instinctively know how the kiosks work and for which type of flight. I finally had to ask only to be told I was supposed to be at the third entrance for an inter island hop. Ok, so we hurry upped and waited for the flight. The coolest part was having a priority line for parents with children. I liked that option to avoid the long shuffle through security. We boarded our Hawaiian Air Flight and had the delightful surprise that they do not have the oversold flight policy. They assign seats and those are your seats. Also very cool.

On arrival in Kona, we were greeted by dancing Hula lasses with musicians and a blast of humid heat. There is rock and grass for scenery. And the whole thing feels tropical...arid...HOT! We waited for our luggage, waited for the Hertz bus, waited for the rental car, and finally got out of the airport. We noted the important landmarks like Costco. Walmart and the grocery stores. And then, the car wound through a quaint village of seafarers restaurants, shops, markets and sacred sites. Waves crashed up over black rocks and people waved as they drove 10 miles an hour down the street. This just felt right and I was immediately excited by what I saw.


On arrival, the room wasn't ready so we did the orientation and then went to Huggo's on the Rocks for drinks and lupper. There were birds everywhere and we were able to sink our toes into the sand. Whales didn't appear and dolphins were elusive but the crabs danced over the rocks. The food was amazing and it was a great place to waste some time. We also cruised the market for fresh produce, the grocery store for food, Costco for more foods and then finally came back to check in.



The room at the Wyndam Kona Hawaiian is huge. We have a full sitting room, kitchen, two bedrooms with two bathrooms and a deck with kitchen table. Here is is quiet and tranquil. I think I may have found my place in Hawaii. So excited....just wish my friends were here to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment