Friday, February 10, 2012

The Massage vs The Dentist

Funnily enough, you have read the title correctly. This has been my day thus far. I have spent time lying down in both locations and have come away from both soothed and serene...for the moment.

This morning, I took advantage of a gift card for the Spa and spent it as directed, on a massage. I was stretched and pulled in dim candlelight, wrapped in warm blankies. Soft music played as she deliberately kneaded her elbow into my back, and found every single pressure point I possessed in order to press into it with determined fingers. One hour of almost sleep and almost pain. Wondering why it felt so nice to have sore and wounded muscles feel like they were being wounded again...just differently. The calming environment might have something to do with it. The usual price tag definitely doesn't. The scent of oil alludes to pampering but the sharp points of pressure have me wondering...especially when my face is flattened into the breathing hole in the table.

However, one hour later finds me jaunting along feeling a bit lightheaded and refreshed. The sun is shining from the sky and I found myself in tune with my world...suddenly remembering more details that needed attention, like picking up the order from Sears, car registration, returning calls from my boss...those ones.

The next major port of call after collecting children from school was the dentist. I do try to be conscientious enough to go when they send out the reminder cards. Besides, I like the feeling of shiny teeth. So, off we went. The girls were excited to go as this dentist gives out toys. Again, I found myself lying down. This time I was face up to the hygienist as she scraped, poked, polished and fluorided. Of course, she was trying to carry on a conversation and I did the burble and mumble as you do when someone has their fingers in your mouth. The nicest part was that the chair was in a sunbeam that created a lovely warmth all over me. Loved it, and of course...I have squeaky clean teeth with no cavities. That is a plus as well! The girls do too and they have new toys, tooth brushes and dental floss to add to their arsenal.

Yes, today has been a good day. I have got my errands accomplished and have been able to chill out for two hours in a horizontal position. Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment