Saturday, June 9, 2012

ALHFAM Texas: Log Cabins, Blacksmithing and Hay Rides

As you might have realized, I am now at a conference and having the best learning time ever! I know I say that about the Association of Living History and Farming Museums Conferences every time I go, but honestly, nothing beats the quality of learning that I experience from the staff, volunteers and presenters that work with this organization.

Today, I was signed up for a log cabin building workshop. I arrived at Farmers Branch in borrowed clothes and borrowed shoes, ready for action. However, Bill Marquis decided to break us in gently as he reveled in telling us the stories of the area as they pertained to history found within log cabins. Did you know that many people actually built houses around the original log cabins? I didn't. Did you know that sometimes people built vertical log cabins? I didn't. I know that they have stick and mud chimneys that were leaning away from the house on purpose so that they can be kicked away when the chimney catches on fire. There is nothing like listening to the expert in the field tell stories.

Then, we went over to the wheel barrow. Red clay was mixed with water and straw and we were handed palettes and chinking tools. To work we went. we almost finished a side of a building today with that mudding mixture. He told us about the links to the old nursury rhymes as we worked. Like Jack Jumping Over A Candle Stick. He showed us the candle stick.

Sadly, we ran out of materials but since I was there to learn. I incorporated myself into the blacksmithing school lesson being taught. Fred and Kelly were fabulous. Fred explained how to make nails and work the fire. As he was the one who built the "smithie" with Kelly, they knew about getting the fire to draw, "having too many irons in the fire" and how to functionally make useful items the old fashioned way. I was fascinated but then the heat....that Texas sun....started to be felt.

Bill Marquis

Chinking the log cabin

Cutting the straw

Mixing the mud

Pulling the bellows

Too many irons in the fire

Strike while the iron is hot


The Candle Stick that would be hung between two chairs




Baseball!
Back to the hotel I went and was able to make myself useful setting up for the conference sessions. Once done that, I enjoyed a hay ride to the park for the opening reception. There, we wandered the buildings, ate great food, and watched the baseball rilvary continue to blossom. They played until dark and then the wagon returned. All in all, a busy and successful day.

1 comment: