Friday, June 8, 2012

Texas: ALHFAM

After leaving at midnight, shuffled into a window seat, the plane took off and landed in Toronto. Honestly, I was so sleepy on landing but didn't sleep thanks to the 'I'm not deaf" ear bud music from two rows behind me. Bon Jovi, Metallica, Aerosmith were all audible, but not sleep worthy at 3:00 am. Customs was a breeze though, and I was able to settle into my comfortable Tim Horton's while I awaited the next plane to Dallas Fort Worth.

Now, I admit that I was tired. But, that is a tremendously large airport. Not to mention that Dallas seems to be suffering from the "Construction Season" blues. I actually saw a construction worker wandering away with a road sign that was rather important. Nevertheless, I have my silver Hyundai Genesis that is rather fun to drive. I got lost twice and finally made it to the Night hotel for the conference.

I was early.

So, I hopped back in the car after snagging keys to my lovely residence for the week from the hostess with the mostest (shoes!!)(GRIN). Once unpacked and showered, I wended my way to the other airport at Love Field and found me my other travelling partner. Off we went. Dropped one off to the board meeting and I decided to walk.

Farmers Branch is a lovely haven of lush greenery, birds chirping and beautiful buildings. The air is scented with flowers and blossoms. I walked the Rawhide Creek and found bridges, a turtle and lots of birds. Further along is a rose garden that is scented with all the magnificent blossoms they could grow.

It was really hot though so off I went to the grocery store: Tom Thumb. Starbucks was yummy but the customers seemed a bit cranky. I guess they are not used to Fort McMurray line ups.  I put the groceries away and took time out to sit on the stoop and eat my salad while listening to the hum of cricket like animals in the trees.


turtle







Back to the hotel for registration we went and then onto a walking tour. The walking tour retraced the steps I had walked earlier but at a much cooler temperature. We also added in the cemetary where the first pioneers of the area were buried. There were civil war markers and infant markers, an Irish family and an unsual hispanic family. It was interesting and a great way to wind down an evening. The ALFAMily likes to socialize so we had to play a bit before finally settling in to sleep. And so good night, off to build log cabins in what will feel like dawn after being up for 37 hours straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment