Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Texas ALHFAM: The Last Hurrah

Sniff. Sniffle.Wipe a tear from the eye as this evening draws to a close. Upstairs above my weary head, the fiddle music is charming tapping toes. A bonnet is under construction and the hospitality suite has an energy that hums (along with the singing). This is the Association of Living History and Farming Museum members at their finest. I can only look forward to Calgary 2014!! That thought excites me.

Today, we finished the conference with the AGM and sessions. My brain is tired from all I learned today. From the impact of first person and second person interpretation, to how to engage with audiences in the flesh, to social media policies and interactions (food for thought as I write this blog that I now know will most likely google alert someone to its presence), I have room for growth and development in my own personal journey towards museum excellence in practice. I have learned about the STEPS program and would love to work through that practical book that would supply additional resources to my work.

But do you know what I love even more than the sessions? I come away knowing so many more people. Even better, these amazing friendly people believe passionately in the same things that I do. Ideas and tools are not secrets. Rather than reinventing things, this group share knowledge and ideas by also sharing how to accomplish these things on your own. The practical advice is wonderful and builds on the knowledge that I get from the museum community back on home turf. I am so blessed to be part of two dynamic museum worlds and I wish the two would come together more oftern (Calgary 2014).

This evening, we were taken to Gilly's. We were taught Texas line dancing, two stepping and bull riding. I am delighted to say that I outlasted the bull twice. 8 seconds or bust! That mechanical bull had nothing on me...There might also be a picture or two out there but my camera went on strike.

For the experiences I have had this week, thanks everyone! I had an amazing time. To those that allowed me to be here, just wait for the ideas...they are percolating.

No comments:

Post a Comment