Thursday, January 24, 2013

A Drive By Shopping Experience

Ah shopping...sometimes it is necessary. Groceries, yes. Fuel for the van. Check that box. Clothing and shoes for growing children. Sometimes.

Most of the time, I am sensible. I get what I need and don't spend a huge amount of funds on frivolous extras that I WANT. I may go for a Tim's to be sociable, or I might indulge in the odd chocolate sneak once in awhile. I could go to a movie or have company over. I spend money on scrap booking and activities. However, none of these measure up to what I did today.

Once in awhile, I have what I have dubbed the drive by shopping experience. Have you ever had one? These can be emotionally rewarding, tinged with a bit of guilty pleasure. These are the shopping experiences where you accidentally wander into a shop and discover that they have the thing. THAT thing, the thing that I have been thinking about or wanting for a long time. I can do that and slobber over it, handle such things and 99% of the time, I can put it back. Really.

The majority of my drive by shopping episodes usually happen when I have absolutely nothing else to do but wait and wander. I have no where to go and the waiting game is completely unpalatable. I spend a lot of time waiting in studios, poolsides and school bus stops after all. I have been known to clothes shop or grocery shop because I am that bored. Most of the time, I have productive errands to run and so do that.

But not today. No, not today.

The lovely ladies were at dance and I opted to see if I could find a repair for my phone. The computer store didn't have anything that could help me and there it was. Across the hall was FotoSource. The man at the counter was describing the features of the Nikon cameras. The one I wanted. I have been in there three times to just eye it over. Three times before I have walked away.

But not today. No, not today.

I saw that the newer model came in bright colors. I love bright colors. I just about managed to walk away when I was informed that it did not come in orange. But then my eye caught sight of that magical thing.The SALE tag. It was marked down to half of what I first looked at paying.

Doomed. I even had my credit card in my pocket. It wasn't conveniently in the car with my purse. No, I was doomed to impulsively, gleefully and self-destructively but very happily spend money on my new red camera. It is exactly what I wanted for Christmas. Yep, that's my new story and I am sticking to it.

Just for today.



No comments:

Post a Comment