Thursday, January 31, 2013

Blue Moon Kinda: Day of the Funnies



Do you remember your parents coming home with the Sunday paper? Remember squabbling over who got to read the comics first? The best part about the Sunday paper was seeing what Garfield and Calvin and Hobbes were up to in living color. Sometimes, you had to pretend you weren't interested in stealing that part of the paper and you had to remember to file it back into the paper correctly, but the funnies were the best thing EVER!

Today was a day that I probably should have stayed home and snuggled in. The Deep Freeze is still alive and kicking, and I woke up with the devil's own version of a headache. However, medicine and the act of moving helped so I thought I would go to the gym. I did and so it started. This was a day when the weird happened and the funny happened...and well, I thought I would share the chuckle.

Things that made me laugh in no particular order:

1) When getting dressed for the gym, make sure you have on appropriate undergarments. The female anatomy is NOT made to bounce and jiggle their way out of their entrapments. So, I detoured to the bathroom to fix it with my hair clip, by attaching to the straps and clipping them together. Only in doing so, I managed to snap the straps off altogether. Fortunately, another lady was able to help me reassemble my clothing to continue class. Red faced and winded from laughing...I managed to finish.

2) When you manage to get into a fender bender in the Tim Horton's line up, might I suggest that you move your cars out of the line? The ladies involved just sat there and nearly caused three more collisions. Nothing loathe, they finished their information exchange and drove ahead for their coffee. Ice ice baby - you slide...

3) When taking your children shopping for winter gear for a five minute stop, be ware. Be very aware. I wanted to get them a decent toque since both have been complaining that their hats are too small. (Would they stop growing?) The next thing I know, they have the hats in front of the store mirror and are doing the booty shaking fashion show of the season. The staff and other clientele were just encouraging them, hence making us late for swimming.

4) Maybe I ought to have paid attention to where the cat had her little heart shaped pillow. I couldn't figure out what the thumping noise was coming from the front of the house, especially when I knew I was home alone. There was a scuffle, yowl and thud as well. Not once, not twice, but three times today, the cat had somersaulted down the stairs. Cat nip is the best fun ever. But I wonder how bruised she will be when the feeling comes back to her system.

5) When spending time with your lovely kids, it is very difficult to snuggle one and ballroom dance with the other simultaneously. I managed a system today that involved costume changes, snuggle in between and managed to be a piggyback twirler. Oh and we were watching Grease...love those musicals. Now, why can't they dance that way in class?

6) When wearing skater shoes, which have the advantage of being very comfortable with a wide base and seem to do OK in the snow, sometimes you have to remember why they are skater shoes. So, when the parking lots are filled with sheet ice and you are carrying coffee, walking like a penguin might not be enough. I leave the rest of that to your imagination. (Anne - it was a legal coffee ;-) )

7) When you are plotting science fair homework and realize that you need vegetables to complete the experiments, and seem to want coffee, it made sense to go to Safeway. There were bonus airmile offers so I opted to do the grocery shop in full. I packed the groceries into my portable freezer, aka van, and decided to get myself a coffee at Starbucks instead. I happily noticed there was no line. There was a reason for that. The cold had attacked the pipes and they were frozen. They could make me a frappaccino or something cold but the hot drinks were out of the question. Foiled. No badness for me, instead I came home and had a cup of tea.

All in all, the amusement factor was rather good today. I didn't get much accomplished, but it was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment