Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Living in the Deep Freeze



Living in the Deep Freeze, sometimes is well, what you do. I can walk outside and it is colder than my freezer. In fact, it has just dawned on me that I am probably spending more on electricity for freezing food that I could quite easily store outside on the deck. No, I am not feeling particularly bright at the moment. Not to mention that I trudge downstairs to get to the freezer. Hmmm, I might have to actually do something about that. I've digressed already.

Now, I know that unlike some folk, I have had a respite from the Deep Freeze. It was cold when I left, and not as cold, but still freezing when I got back. However, now that we are at the end of January, I can feel slightly offended that the winter has stayed wintery for weeks on end. Last winter, we were spoiled in the north by a very mild winter. This one is making up for it in spades. Spades and spades of snow, shovelled at all hours of the day and still, it keeps falling. The snow has been cleared from the street and there are still ridges of ice. My deck is lost, and the back pathway is a snowmobile run at best. The bus stop shuffle has turned into the bus stop shuttle.

The hardest part of the Deep Freeze is that it can be dark in here. There is a lack of motivation to get out of bed, especially for the youngest in the house. The blankets are warm, cozy and inviting and the pillows have finally got to their perfect level of squish. No one in the house likes to be up before daylight. Standing at the bus in -42 windchill has to be experienced to remind yourself why winter vacations are a brilliant idea.

However, in the Deep Freeze, there are all sorts of goodies. There is the sunrise that brilliantly comes to life over the roof tops. There is an appreciation for the warmth that spews from the exhaust (I kid you not). There is the delightful shivery conversations with the other moms and still those that welcome you into their home at no o clock in the morning because you are there. Music and spelling, breakfast and play...all before 8:15 am. There is the beauty from the crystals that shimmer in front of your eyes. The snow is deep enough to add insulation to the house. My heating bill for January was actually less than December when I was away.

The best part of the Deep Freeze this week has been the roaming fox. His coat just shines against the snow. Bundled in layers, I tried to stalk him but he escaped and I can't say that I am sad about that. I don't know where he is living but at least, he is company.

Anyway - the best thing about the Deep Freeze, it makes you appreciate Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment