Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Tenerife: Loro Parque to Sandos

The sunshine filled the balcony and it was with great happiness that I packed up and rounded things up for leaving the Blue Seas Resort group of hotels. It was Loro Parque day and I was excited. Not to mention the girls and company were also happy to be on our way. We got to the entrance early and headed into the park. They do the picture taking thing as you enter into the parque and people just troop through the front gates one photograph at a time.

This is a lovely Parque devoted to animal conservation and education. While I think that animals are best seen in their environment, this is a great way to educate the children about other species and wild life. It was lovely to see the birds and read about their conservation. They prepare over 200 kg of food just for the parrots in their keeping and they hatch over 1400 babies each year. That statistic alone impressed me.

We started the day with the Parrot show. There is nothing like having the parrots fly and brush your face with their wings. Parrots have delightful plumage and are so clever. The positive relationship that you see with all of their handlers was also great to see. The girls loved seeing all the shows. We got wet at the Orca show and laughed with the Sea Lion show. I think that my favorite was the Dolphin show but that was just my take. We also spent time exploring the exhibitions and went to the penguin exhibition twice. Those are incredible animals and to watch them play was really fun. I still want to know what all the ribbons meant but no one could explain that.

The food at Loro Parque was okay too. We chose not to picnic this day as it would have meant carrying too much stuff. We saw the gorillas and chimpanzees and in that respect it is a great working zoo environment. However, all great day outs have to come to an end and I got back into the navigators seat once more and headed for the Sandos resort. Well, it wouldn't be us if we missed the turn, would it?

Instead of taking the road more travelled, we wound up missing the connection through the mountains, going the easy way. Instead, we twisted around the coast line and followed the road to Masca. In the daylight, I am sure it is magnificent and probably not as stressful to drive. The sunset over La Gomera was amazing. However, the drive was still hairpin bending for another hour after that and well, it got dark in a hurry. The cliffs were sheer drops and the villages disappeared in two bends of the road. The next ones were over mountain crests or hanging onto a shelf. Oncoming traffic had to duck into ditches to make room as the road was single lane at best. Yep, it was another adventure that eventually led us to the Sandos.

It was so nice to be welcomed into San Blas. Of course, we had to stop at the gas station for directions but that was simpler than keeping on being lost. The hotel is all inclusive and fabulous. The beds are still hard but the service is wonderful. For the end of our trip - this is the rest that I have been looking for. My wish and it is served. However, I still want to go to La Gomera - so that will have to be booked. And I have forgotten to blog Monkey Park. Perhaps that will come later tonight but now it is time for dinner at the buffet. I don't have to cook and that is always a good thing in my world. And, the computer is about to tell me I need to plug in more money and that won't work either. I have none left...haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment