Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Home Renovations: Good, Bad and Sticky

The weather is hot, sticky and frizz on scalp humid. The long weekend is over and done and after a week of home demolition, I gaze around the debris that is my house and wonder. I hope that it will be worth it. Years of debate and saving has translated into walnut flooring so that my allergy ridden kidlets can breathe better and hopefully not get so ill in the season changes. I hope. The price tag after all is astronomical.

The thing is, the new flooring is gorgeous. She is a true brunette with blond highlights. The floor is smooth beneath the toes and the patterning is delightfully warm and cozy. I know once it is all done that I will love it. After 8 days of living with the demolition, I can honestly say that I am done with the renovations.

When I read the quote, I read that they would do the baseboards. I also noticed that I would have to repaint all the rooms to spruce it up before the flooring was installed. That was done. I read that they would not move my furniture or if they did, they would charge $50 a piece. So, I have spent two weeks with my clothing hanging out in my bathtub, bookcases in my closet and with every piece of furniture having been piled up and put somewhere. This is the process of moving things from here to there and there to here and back again. Currently, I have three rooms with furniture moved to the center so that the baseboards can be replaced.

What the quote didn't mention is that you are expected to either repaint or replace all the baseboards that they remove. They don't replace them as they finish a room, instead they wait for it to suit themselves. Instead of being able to shunt furniture back into place in order to clear another room, you wind up with having to keep furniture out. In defiance, I put some back anyway as how else can you clear another room? It all has to go somewhere.

Add to the furniture woes, it has been extremely humid and hot. 34 (39) yesterday. The upper levels of the house were stifling and each evening has been spent shuffling and balancing furniture. Who needs a gym? Then, of course, conveniently it became a long weekend. This meant that the installer was obligated to take 4 days off, adding 4 more days to the chaos.

I am so done with this project. If I ever need to purchase a house again - it had better come with the flooring already in it or it will have to be done before I move it. I am exhausted and wired simultaneously. I am excited and fed up. The drama of this process is incredible. I have had amazing offers of help, but haven't had the opportunity (Or organization) to ask. Sigh. Yep, it is going to be pretty, but the process is sticky, sweaty and downright tempermental.

Last minute painting and baseboards removed

Piano Bar Bathroom
In progress

Defiantly placing furniture so that we can sit!



No comments:

Post a Comment