Thursday, July 25, 2013

Summer Road Trip 2013: Lake Sylvia



Hey Boo Boo, do you have the pick in nick basket? You know the kind with the sandwiches, juice boxes and treats? I say that we do! This morning I had a plan; a plotting and scheming type of plan. After hearing all the reasons why no one was interested in a car ride, I explored google maps and found that Lake Sylvia was only about an hour away. Hmmm…I thought. 

You see, Ocean Shores is lovely. It has great beaches, shops and things to do. But this year, it is gloomy. So, I suggested that we pack up and see what we could see and find some sunshine. Rumor had it that you didn’t need to go far to find it. Rumor was a bit off, but that worked to my advantage. The van rolled into a mobile coffee place, and the natives were stocked up and then the van rolled on…through Hoquiam, Aberdeen and onward. Chuckling to myself, it was still a bit cloudy and there it was, the turn off to Lake Sylvia State Park. It took about 50 minutes.

For day use, there is a $10 per car fee, which is done on the honor system. There was a playground, change rooms, beach, and hiking trails. The girls played, read and splashed. After lunch, we walked the 2.5 mile Sylvia Creek route through lush trees, and forest. This trail also featured storyboards showcasing the old rail line, the saw mill and homesteading while explaining the local vegetation as well. I read them, and nearly got lost as a result as the rest of our party went charging on ahead while I took pictures. Fortunately, Nana waited for me…GRIN. Once we completed the loop the sun was out in full force. We chilled out enjoying the flapping geese, puppies and downtime in beautiful scenery…with no fog in sight. The temperature soared to a lofty 22 and I was quite pleased to read my book on the beach. At 4:30, it was time to head back for supper as Galway Bay Pub and Restaurant. I got a coffee at All Wrapped Up Espresso and Bakery on the way back and oh my, that is well worth a stop.

On the way back, we were betting on when the cloud would hit, or whether I had driven us all insane by driving for no reason. Turns out to my relief, we hit the cloud back just after Aberdeen. The temperature plummeted to 13 by the time we reached the parking lot in Ocean Shores. Ha, I say to that!
Dinner at Galway’s is also well worth a stop. The food is pricier but it has so much more flavor. The clam chowder was good, and I literally couldn’t eat another bite of my Irish Stew at the end, which made me sad.  Nor could I finish my beer, which was a sin as that was tasty too. The kids loved this place too as the tables either had fun things to read on them or were covered with chalk paint so that they could draw. That was a fabulous way to entertain them while they waited for their food. It is tempting to paint my furniture like that when we get home. 

Today was an awesomely relaxed day. I appreciate the need for fog and moisture, after all it is a rain forest. But for hiking and relaxing, that is much easier to do with children when you are warm. Just pack plenty of water, and be willing to think outside the box. Sunshine made a one hour drive totally worth it!

Note the gloomy fog over Aberdeen

Not the sunshine starting to show up at Lake Sylvia


SLUG



GRIN, I can find history anywhere! Old Saw Mill blade




OMG fabulous coffee and goodies


No comments:

Post a Comment