Sunday, July 21, 2013

Summer Road Trip 2013: Sandpoint to Ocean Shores via Mount Rainier



Driving to Ocean Shores from Sandpoint takes a lot longer than you would think. Google maps have several options and obviously, being touristy, I like to take in the scenery. Except, for most of the I-90, there wasn’t much to see. Once out of the mountain ranges, the girls were clicking away on their electronics and I studied road signs and the rippling hills of gold. Mile after mile after mile of blistering heat and air-conditioning.

Along I-90
Coming into Yakima with Mount Rainier distant
Things really didn’t get interesting until Yakima where the fire danger suddenly became very obvious. As I took in the distance view of the Cascade Mountains and Mount Rainier, I suddenly paid attention to the nearby roadside next to the Yakima River, which was on fire and billowing smoke. Crews were monitoring the progress and rafters were still tubing nearby but that nixed my idea of a rest stop in this location. However, I had decided to venture our van off the I-90 and onto US 12 just to see some more beautiful scenery in the mountains. 

Forest Fire
In Natchez, a stop became rather more critical. The thermometer was reading 36 C and the natives were getting restless in the back. We stopped at Thompson Farms Fruit Stand that also claims to be a museum, gift shop, wine tasting venue and purveyor of fine jams, dressings and so on. It had a complete old fashioned soda shop in the back and I was enchanted. Is that a Tiffany lamp I spy? I still don’t know. I did wander out with four bottles of local wine, so I guess the museum got me after all. 

Old soda fountain in Natchez
Couldn't resist
However, it was too freaking hot to stay outside long. I wandered over to my new favorite invention: the road side coffee shacks and got a large iced coffee to go. It didn’t last long but at least we started climbing into the hills following a river. It was a very inviting river, but common sense prevailed and we kept going. Until common sense went out the window due to the heat and we stopped at Rimrock Lake, Horseshoe Cove to watch the boats and get wet. The beach is tiny but very functional. However, the funniest part of the stop was to watch my youngest toss a stick to a dog, and then race the dog for the stick, only to have the dog completely baffled as to why he couldn’t find the stick. 

The addiction continues!
Rimrock lake
The mountains were in clear blue skies and the views were amazing. Sure enough, at Mount Rainier, the stop was necessary as it was as clear as I could imagine, with just a bit of haze. Snap went the camera and then down the hill we went. Don’t expect cell reception until you come out the other side, there is none so don’t crash!

Mount Rainier of course
Add caption
The drive was relatively uneventful after that. The roads wended their way to the coast and we stopped in Aberdeen for dinner. Yelp said Billy’s so there we went. I wasn’t disappointed. The ambience was fabulous and the history behind the businessman gone over to greedy murderer was rather gangsta reading. There were old style lamps, paintings and shipwreck maps. Add to that fabulous food that was very tasty including my yak burger and it was well worth it. 

A Kissing Frog or Wisher Something or other


We reached Ocean Shores at 9:00 just in time to get keys for our rooms at the Windjammer Condominiums. Don’t ever be late here as the receptionist had no intention of waiting until 9:01. Nor did she have any intention of answering the phone earlier in the day when I called. Sigh, since then, I can tell you the other staff have been wonderfully friendly and accommodating, but it was a rather rough start. It is also very cloudy and cool here…a nice break from the heat. 


No comments:

Post a Comment