Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Halloween

Spooky. Creepy. Decorative. Fun. Candy.

Oh yes, did I mention the candy? I had the distinct pleasure of dancing the afternoon away with the regular crew dressed up in a flower power costume. This meant that I had absolutely no say in the hooliganting antics of the children. That is the topic open for today in this little gem.

What is the appropriate tone to set for Halloween? I know that when I was a wee thing in fairy wings and a pumpkin pail, I was permitted to Trick or Treat until the pumpkin was full. It was a wee little pumpkin and it took blocks to fill. After an hour, we would walk to the school field for hot chocolate, bonfire delights and the thrill of fireworks.

Flash forward to now. I have two enormous shopping bags full of chips, chocolate and candy. Loot bags with pencils, erasers and stickers. Hard candy and soft candy - and the inevitable stolen wrappers that delight the souls of children that think that they got away with something. Our street has houses with cobwebs, pumpkins that light up the night, blow up skeletons and phantoms, coffins and vampires and so much more. Each house seems to be more elaborate than the last. While these houses are funfilled and musically accompanied, I also know that these house are distributing a heap of candy. I have enough in the house to last a year. Now add to that complication the fact that I am not able to send it as part of their lunches.

Now, the next question that follows is that I gave out a chocolate bar to each child. Just one. Does that make me cheap? We had loads of children coming to the door and I was afraid of running out. I am so puzzled by this phenomenan as it grows larger and grander each year. How do the new immigrants cope with it? So, I have no answer. I think that the children had fun and a good time was had by all. I guess that it is the important thing. However . . . what we will do next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment