Monday, November 8, 2010

Manic Monday

I realize that some of you have crazy Monday's too; the kind that make you wish you had that steaming cup of coffee, a satisfying book and time to just breathe. I know that you think you have experienced the worst kind of Monday that there is. Ever had cranky partner or child tell you to get stuffed? Been late? Been hopelessly stuck in traffic? I thought so. I am not trying to cap your bad day, but I am going to share mine in order to vent.

That alarm clock actually managed to show up for work today, so I was alert when the phone rang. The first call was to inform me that it had snowed. Seeing as it is only the second snowfall of the year, traffic was doing it's usual " Holy Crap - How do you drive in this stuff again?" Somehow, the fact that it is winter for 5 - 6 months of the year gets forgotten every fall. I understood and began the flurry of hunting out mitts, scarves and hats, warming up the van so that the ice melts and generally getting us all ready.

Then the second call came. My friend was clever enough to be listening to the radio, which had the news bulletin. The school has no power, but it should be fixed shortly. Ok. So, I race around and get out the door. I slithered my way slowly to the first drop point and was assured that yes it was dark, but yes, the power will be on shortly. So, I proceeded to the bus stop for Child #2. We waited. Waited. Still waiting. Meanwhile, the babysitter and I are in discussion as to what is really happening. She has called the bus company, who were clueless so they called the school, who decided that everything was OK.

Hmmmm, that funny feeling kicked in when the TL7 bus stopped just in front of us. That is the bus for the first child's school and she is refusing to pick up children. Now, I know that the buses are late but that bus was 40 minutes late. So, I round up all the children I can and decide to drive them to school. At least they will be warm and dry, plus on time. The route takes me back by my daughter's school. Instinct kicks in so I stop and sure enough, all the kids are being sent home. The cell bill mounts higher as I coordinate with Lish over which children are going where. She has my eldest so I carry on with the rest. They get to school in time but I am explaining that the buses are late and why to the staff, and get sent to the office. Sigh. One more child to deliver and now I am late for work.

Of course, once she was delivered to her school (the third of the day) and again I have explained why the buses are late and why I am driving the child, I managed to get a whole block before the traffic snarl hit. You see, from my abode there are two hills that lead to downtown and a bridge. Invariably during the first snow, people crash in all of those locations so you can't go anywhere. What is really aggravating is that you can't see the jam until you are past the point that you cannot turn around. That means a call to work to say that they will see me when they see me.

I finally got to work and then discovered that they were in a bit of a high state of excitment as a real life famous person had decided to come to the park to get pictures taken. Working at a historical village, you sometimes get the unexpected. I have to wonder why celebrities seem to want snowy pictures when it is cold outside. Expecially those from the South? Anyone? He was the second one since I have been working there anyway. So, I spend my day dealing with trying to figure out someone elses paperwork and wound up staying late. That meant being caught in traffic again because the same series of accidents happens on the way home too.

I had exactly an hour to get supper and get back downtown to the dance studio. I hadn't intended on taking the youngest but of course, traffic presented the option of no childcare so I had to drag her down too. That makes both children cranky. So, after three hours there, I am home. I am tired, cranky . . .and really want a shower. Did I mention I missed boot cam? I never miss that class. Yes, I am disgusted with this crazy day.

Could someone, anyone, fix it for tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment