Friday, February 21, 2014

Florida: Disney's Hollywood Studios




Indianna Jones, run!



Best dress ever: Gone with the Wind
I love things that blow up...







Hollywood Studios means that once again, the rental car was pointed in the direction of Disney World. After Magic Kingdom, I have to confess I was slightly worried. We all know I don't like crowds, line ups or stress. Today, was sooo much better.

Parking was simple. The train tram was simple. Security was simple. So far so good. Fast pass was broken, but they promised to fix it. Shrugging, we continued and then we heard the music. Dun dun de dun dum de dum dum...Luke..."Darth Vader" and on the stage were all the characters from Star Wars. We had stumbled upon the Jedi training school and Star Tours. Star Tours only had a 10 minute line up and was amazing. The experience of soaring through the skies and galaxies was too much fun. So much fun in fact that the youngest barrelled through the gift shop and went back into line to do it all over again.

From there, the Indiana Jones show was about to begin and we headed over there. That was interesting as they demonstrated the techniques used for fighting scenes, the boulder roll and explosives in film. There was audience participation and lots of set changes. It was a great way to spend 30 minutes.

Fast passes were back in order, but by the time that we had figured that out, we were too late for Toy Story. We settled on Fantasmic, Little Mermaid and Lights Motors Action. Next time, I will do the roller coaster... On we went to the Great Movie Ride which I thoroughly enjoyed as it touched on a lot of my own favorite films. There were gangsters, the old west, musicals, aliens and munchkins. What is not to like?

However, once you have fast passes, you have to stick to the timetable. So, we headed for Lights, Motors Action for the speed cars stunt show. It was amazing. Being someone that enjoys flame shows from campfires to pyrotechnics, this was up my alley. There were speeding cars, jumping cars, burning of oil, rubber and free falls from buildings. A movie sequence was filmed while Lighting McQueen had a cameo shot. I would totally have watched it again, but it was off to the Little Mermaid show.

The little mermaid show was simple and musical. It was good for the children but I wouldn't suggest it for adults only unless you need airconditioning. That led to wandering the streets and it was then that the roller coaster came into play. The girls and I opted to wait in the very long line for Aerosmith's Rockin Rollin Rollercoaster. I could have ridden this one more than once, but the line was too overwhelming. It is that good though. It is 90 seconds of speed, upsidedown thrill spins and yes, it is slightly dark in there. FUN! Steering the girls out of the gift shop was not as fun.

The only way I got them out of there was the promise of art lessons. They offer art lessons at the Animation studio and an artist is available to talk you through being able to produce a character. We got Donald Duck. My effort was passable, but very amateur. However, it was awesome to get something that was really an experience. This is also where you meet the characters and can figure out who you would be... I got Lady from Lady and the Tramp...considering that this was the first movie I ever saw in a theatre, I thought that was rather apt.

Time doesn't rest, so it was on to the Pirates Show and then Fantasmic. I will say that sitting near the front gets you slightly damp, but watching the watershow and pyrotechnics up close is too cool to miss out on. You have to go early to get a decent seat. Thankfully, I had packed a large picnic that almost got us through the day. And best of all? It chose not to rain. This was an amazing day but I think tomorrow, we will veg.

No comments:

Post a Comment