Sunday, February 16, 2014

Florida: Doing nothing and trying to be good at it.

The post-traumatic stress syndrome of traveling blues usually leads to sleep deprivation of some sort. This journey was no exception, but I was stunned to find out that this morning, I was the first to wake up. Really. That never happens by accident and I am usually offended when it has to happen on purpose. However, this morning I woke up bleary eyed at 11:45 am and realized that yes, I was awake. Yes, I was in Florida. Yes, that was sunshine outside and yes, I was wasting it. Snuggling in to try and get more sleep, that information went to my brain and no, more sleep was not possible. Getting everyone out of bed, showered, clothed and breakfast/lunched, it was time to catch up on the Olympics. There was a hockey game on between Canada and Finland so that finished my motivation. We watched and then went for a walk through the resort. I tried ignoring the sunshine but it didn't work. We are at the Mystic Dune Resort which has a lovely vast expanse of golf course to walk. There are hills and fountains, plus three pools. For the children, we found the activity centre and the mini golf course. There were even two ducks.
In the midst of trying to enjoy the surroundings, I found the front desk and lodged my complaint about the buglings. They are a sweet ant, apparently and while they have sprayed, they are not gone. They seem to be attached in some way to the toaster. I love the beauty of the resort and the spaciousness and the rooms are gorgeous. I hate the ants in the kitchen. I have nicely expressed my concerns and well...that timeshare presentation tomorrow? I am NOT going. However, if this is the worst part of the accomodation, I guess I can lump it. I am only a pretend princess after all. After strolling back to the room, it was time for some poolside fun. The pool is shallow enough that I can gleefully wander into a book and only have to glance at them from time to time. It was lovely and warm. However, in the process, I discovered that my eldest had outgrown her shoes. Now, I only packed last week. Last week, her feet were sized 5.5. This week, they are definately a 6 to 6.5. Gak. Areosoles was beckoning and so that let to outlet shopping for the family. We took four hours at the Premium Outlet Mall looking for shoes, watches, t-shirts and hats. I am also sulking because I managed to leave my credit card at the last store. It's a good thing that I don't really need it here. Sigh. It is cancelled now, and I will just have to make do. Around 9:00, supper became a concern. We Yelped restaurants and came up with the Smokey Bones as a choice place to go. Ummm...great plan but the traffic had other ideas. So, we stopped at another Yelped place called Carrabbas - which served very yummy Italian. Service was relatively quick and the bill was relatively painless. I would recommend it for families that are traveling anyway as all kids seem to be welcome there. So, today was a day of doing essentially nothing. But, a day of doing nothing seemed to be counter productive so in the end, we did quite a lot. The groceries are also done as we stopped on the way home. I have to say, the elder girl is very helpful in the grocery store, remembering all the things that I was forgetting. She schelps bags and organizes the counter too. All in all, it was a great day. St. Augustine will be tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment