Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Florida: Windsong at New Port Ritchie

Morning broke early. Way to early. Bleary eyed and not so bushy tailed, I lugged provisions and pillows and blankies to the rented jeep and prepared for the trip. The kids were hauled in and tucked up so they could continue to snooze on the 1.47 hour drive to New Port Ritchie. The highways were good and the construction was minimal. However, timing is everything and we were cruising as fast as possible. Why?

I had googled sailing. Now, sailing is not my favorite thing to do, but my family loves to be out on the water and my youngest loves dolphins. What better way to see dolphins than spending a day in the Gulf of Mexico? I couldn't think of anywhere else and the waters I thought would be calmer there than in the Atlantic. So, I booked it online before I could chicken out.

Windsong Sailing Charters is located in New Port Ritchie and we had Captain Dave. This was a leisurely cruise through the houses, out to the Island. He accommodated the love affair with dolphins when we sighted a pod playing in the waters. They swam with the boat for a fair distance and sitting on the front of the boat, I forgot to be nervous. THAT was a huge feat. We reached the Island and transferred to the dinghy to get to shore. The island is a state park with a light house that you can visit. The board walk wraps around to the dock and was delightful. Back on the boat, it was time to get undersail. Since, I didn't have to do any of the work, I was happy to chill out and read a book. Note, I was still on the front of the boat.

The kids had a great time too. The front hatch was open so I could chat with the girls when they were below deck. We had stocked up at the Publix for lunch and water so they had plenty to eat and we had brought stuff for them to do on board at the table. They were entertained. This was an 8 hour cruise and we could tweak things to suit our family. On the way back in, dolphins joined us again. It was a perfect day.

Note: if you book a meal online, don't assume that you will get it. I had done that and it was not included.

So, that meant another meal to take care of. We chose The Skippers Smokehouse as seen on TV according to google maps. This place is akin to Diners, Drive In's and Dives, which is what I googled. Plus, it was only 25 minutes down the road.
There are three

Yes, really they were this close in the water.

DOLPHIN!

Island light house








Skippers Smokehouse...YUMMY food

This is a tumble down shack type of environment that is very decieving. The food is incredible and very reasonably priced. There is a restaurant area for children, but the rest is a bar with live music. Kids or no kids, you have to eat here. Fabulous.

This is Florida the way I like it. Calm, serene and really amazing food. Tomorrow is NASA...and possibly more crowds. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment