Sunday, February 16, 2014

Florida: Traveling there

Traveling with children is no small feat. It takes patience, wisdom and a sense of humor. You have to plan for the things that no one else thinks of and you have plan for hiccups. Yesterday,was the first time in a long time that I have had to travel with children through airports and security by myself. No other friends or family to cast an eye and while it is perfectly doable...there are those moments when you wish you had an extra set of hands.

Our flight left late but arrived on time into Toronto. I maintain, that hands down, if you are going to have flight issues, this is the airport to have them in. We were welcomed at the gate by Air Canada crew and were hustled over to Secure Connections area F for passport control. We arrived at 6:50, were in the area at 7:05. Our boarding passes were scanned and then we waited. Waited. Waited and watched the clock tick over. Boarding for our flight was at 8:05. The girls had done their job by running through the airport with the luggage and were more or less not fighting. Finally, I walked over to the Air Canada desk and said, I have now got 20 minutes to clear customs, security and get to the gate.

In the meantime, we had made friends with another family who was traveling with small children and all the infant gear. Grinning, I just suggested that having us misconnect might cause more problems and could they hold the flight and help? They agreed. Relief, and then our names and numbers came up. Through clearance 3 and to customs. Then, drama ensued as Keelin realized her stuffy was MIA. After tears, and heated argument, I gave up and left the girls in line while I weaved back to look. I was met by a gentleman in a yellow vest who had the stuffy. He was waiting for me to figure it out. Thank you!

Back I weaved to the line, which hadn't moved. It is now 8:00 and our flight is about to board. 8:30 comes and the line has not moved. We are pulled from the line and taken to the front with our other friends. We clear customs and then have to beg and plead to head to the family line. At every security point, our bags, hands and pat downs occured as we were selected. Fabulous. Eyes rolling, I noticed the other family was still struggling with shoes and strollers so again, we ran. It was about 8:45 and our flight was leaving at 8:40. I was never so happy to see a ticket agent just standing there waiting for us.

We flew Air Canada Rouge. It was interesting as it felt like they were trying to be West Jet. They were warm and friendly and really pleasant. The seats are more crowded and not as comfortable but very clean and the seats have way more storage. Food costs a fortune so next time, I am packing a picnic of allowed food before leaving the house. I didn't this time and because our connection was so tight, I had no time to feed the girls in the airport. I spent over 50 dollars on airline food. Ouch. It wasn't bad but ouch. Another note to self, make sure that the Air Canada application is downloaded onto your Ipod/Ipad devices. There are no Air Canada in flight entertainment options if you do not. That leads to bored and cranky children.

We landed into Orlando at midnight and then found and I hop. Pancakes at midnight. That can't be wrong can it?

We are now at our resort: the Mystic Dunes. We have a kitchen and a beautiful spacious suite that comes complete with little buglings in the kitchen. Everything else is gorgeous but not sure about cooking. Maintenance has been called and so we wait and blog. I guess I should explore the resort too but there is a hockey game on. It is the Olymipics after all. The girls love the two queen beds in their room and are in heaven.

Welcome to the Florida blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment